Although spirit and soul are words that have all kinds of different meanings, I just have to use them here because I have no other way of describing the way I see the human development.
So in the zodiac I use them for the fire signs (spirit) and the water signs (soul).
In the post Ego development I described the sign leo as being the first sign in the individual part of the zodiac.
It is a fire sign which I call in this context spirit.
So as a result it is the individual spirit. Which is different from the primordial and the universal spirit.
Primordial spirit (personal outside)
Aries is the primordial spirit and it is something that happens even without individual awareness. It is a force, an energy that can suddenly ignite and burn up just as easy. In Integral theory it falls in the quadrant of personal outside. At first I thought it was odd to see something as action, which is the core of aries, was outside. But then I thought there is also another spirit (leo) which is personal and inside and belongs to the age of 14. Aries is the first force and it belongs to the beginning of all live, birth.
– Activity that is self-motivated, unaffected by others.
– New beginnings, the start of new cycles, birth, vitality.
– Aggressive, willful, powerful, assertive.
– Focused in short bursts, unlikely to sustain interest in the long term.
– Adventurous, pioneering, warrior-type energy, impatient, works best alone.
– Unconcerned with approval or acceptance.
– Lacks persistence and stamina.
– Honest and forthright.
Individual spirit (personal inside)
The individual spirit is symbolised in the zodiac by leo. It is the first sign of the individual part of the zodiac and in Integral theory it falls in the personal inside quadrant. It is an active part, like aries, but the difference is that it is inside. It is part of an independent individual that is capable of discovering its own inner core. Its own creative and unique quality. Seeing that it is different from its surroundings and being proud of that. It belongs to the age of 14, puberty, when the person becomes an individual, seperate from his primordial surroundings.
– Ego development, setting yourself apart from the rest of the world.
– Becoming your own person.
– Self-expression, being true to your inner nature, acting from the heart.
– Dawning awareness of self in relation to others.
– Ego, self-centered, arrogant.
– Artistic or creative expression.
– Needs to be a center of attention, likes to be noticed and appreciated, ego-strokes.
– Personal integrity, true to self, honorable, trustworthy, self-assured, confident.
Universal spirit (collective inside)
The universal spirit is symbolised by the sign sagittarius. It is the first sign of the universal part of the zodiac and it is the individual that is becoming aware of a bigger whole. It is the individual that takes its unique self into the world. It is the individual who has a vision of how his individual self can be needed in the world. But it requires awareness of the self, of its power and disabilities. The previous sign scorpio has to be integrated to be able to use this vision as an individual that is whole and not seeing only part of the self. In Integral theory is falls in the quadrant collective inside. And it belongs to the age of around 42, midlife.
– Becoming a member of a wider society.
– Experiences that lead to consciousness expansion.
– Being receptive to new points of view, wisdom, enlightenment.
– Using your talents for the benefit of the greater whole.
– Freedom loving, idealist, unfettered by small thinking; inspiration; religion, philosophy, the law.
– Awareness of connections to the rest of the world, can be distant from others.
– Afraid to give up freedom, reluctant to be tied down, aware of the value of the social contract.
– Enthusiastic, generous; loves abstract, theoretical ideas, sees the big picture, ignores the details.
– In love with an ideal; strong opinion; foreign travel, liberating experiences.